Three New Temari: different sizes and different purposes

Three new temari finished, each with a different function and size.

temari 77Temari #77, a very small temari (about 3/4″ in diameter) was made to be a book marker and given to another book lover as a thank you gift. The threads used for stitching this temari and for the braided cord are embroidery floss.

temari 78Temari #78, a medium sized temari ( 2″ in diameter) serves as a pincushion on one of my temari project tote bags. The decorative stitching is around the equator and on the bottom, leaving the top blank, except some small seed stitches to make sure the thread wrappings don’t move. Perle cotton threads in #5 and #8 were used for stitching. All are hand dyed except the off-white thread. When it is loaded with colorful pins, it looks like the top of a cupcake with sprinkles.

temari 79Temari #79, a large ball (about 7″ in diameter) was made just for looking at and the joy of making it. Three different sizes of thread were used to stitch this ball. A fine #8 perle cotton for the pentagons and triangles. #8 perle cotton was used for the blue diamonds. The thicker black thread and variegated threads are actually a silk/bamboo yarn. Except the black, all the decorative stitching threads are ones I have hand dyed.

Advertisements

Pincushion Paperweights

paper weight pin cushion

These three pincushions were made for our quilt guild chapters fundraiser auction coming up next week. They were made by sewing two circles of muslin together (leaving a small opening), filling with clean sand (a funnel is handy for this step), and then stitching the opening shut. Two circles of felt the same size were stitched together a little past halfway around, the sand bag was slipped between the two felt circles and then I finished stitching the felt circles together.

The stitching designs on the green and fuchsia  pincushions are temari inspired.

I found that it was easier to do the decorative stitching after the felt was stuffed with the sand bag because it did not need to be in an embroidery hoop the keep the tension of the stitching even as the felt surface was already a little taut. A button was centered on both the front and back and stitched through both, tying off in the front. I used a square knot, tied half the knot, put a little dab of glue in the center, then tied the other half the knot to prevent it from coming undone.

When I was working on cutting out some fabric from a pattern I made, I needed a weight for the fabric (I prefer to use just about anything other than pins when sewing) and immediately thought of my just made pincushions. They worked great. So, I am now calling them pincushion paperweights.