Temari: #102 & #103

Temari #102 and #103 represent all my temari production for the past couple months.

 

The one above is #102, a C8 division. If it looks suspiciously familiar, it is because it is a C8 version of my temari #101, which is a C10.

There are less Shasta daisies on this one, but the flowers are a bit fuller appearing since there are more petals per flower.

The perle cotton threads on this ball are ones I hand dyed.

The next temari, #103, is a C10 division. There are six bands that make up the wider nine thread bands. The sixth band is a zigzag that circumscribes the ball instead of a straight line.

The remaining negative spaces were highlighted with narrow three thread bands.

A pastel variegated thread alternates with black in the wide bands. Although this might no show well on the computer screen, in person, this creates a subtle dynamic quality to the design.

Only the pale peach thread used in the diamonds and to tack down intersections is one of my hand dyed threads.

Only two temari to show for over two months is very low production for  me. With a number of health issues that are as tangled as a ball of thread after a cat has played with it, I am pleased to have achieved this much.

There is another temari in the works that is going with me to doctors appointments. Lately, the wait times have been relatively short, so not much progress at appointments.

A new C10 temari, maroon background with twelve stars, is going with me today to an appointment. What will go in the hexagon negative spaces between the stars is yet to be decided. Postponing that decision gives me something to look forward to.

 

A Half Dozen More Temari and Hand Dyed Threads

All of these temari feature hand dyed perle cotton thread, all of which I have hand dyed except in one of the temari.

temari 39

temari 39

For temari 39, the “solid” color threads are not really solid, but slightly mottled. I can buy or dye solid colors, but slightly mottled colors have a certain appeal to me because of their unevenness of color.

temari 40 view 3

temari 40

In Temari 40, both a mottled green and a dark variegated thread are used to create a bold design. The color variation in the dark thread gives added interest to the simple shapes while the bright mottled green ties the design together and gives definition to the crossed spindles.

temari 41 view 2

temari 41

For temari 41, the color scheme was reversed in that the large squares are stitched with the mottled thread and the variegated thread is used for the outlining and the marking threads.

temari 42

temari 42

This temari, number 42, was stitch with interlocking triangles and set aside with the feeling that it was not finished. Later, the crossed spindles that interlock with the triangles were added. Here a true solid color, the rose pink in the crosses, was used to show off the single strand of variegated thread in the center of the spindle bands.

temari 43

temari 43

Temari 43 is a wee little temari at 3/4 inch in diameter. The marking thread is a cotton machine quilting thread and the stitching thread is a size #10 perle cotton.

temari 44

temari 44

Although temari 44 sports a couple variegated threads, I did not dye them, only the yellow. They were a couple of skeins I picked up an embroidery shop.

This temari was a project that I brought with me to a convention to work on during lectures when I was not taking notes and during the break between lectures. Since this one would be finished before the convention was over on the second day, I brought #42 and finished that one too. It was a good convention that I left with much new information crammed in my head and two finished temari in my littlest of project tote bags.

 

Temari 35 and Hand Dyed Threads

temari 35

This temari is the result of wanting to try out my newly hand dyed threads. I had purchased some 5/2 perle cotton and 5/2 bamboo thread from the Woolery during the Christmas holiday. It took me a while to get around to doing the dyeing as I was trying to give my injured arm a rest. Trying is the operative word; I learned that there are many things that can be done without using dominant arm, such as dyeing.

This is a C8 (combination 8) division of the ball with the six spindle exes stitched in some of my new hand dyed thread. The little squares and the exes are outlined in a solid color purchased light purple thread. The ball just did not look finished until I added a French knot at the intersection of three points.

Below are some the hand dyed threads from the first of many batches yet to come. The perle cotton 5/2 come as one pound cones, which translates to about 2,100 yards. Enough to last a little while.

hand dyed cotton and bamboo threads

The second from the left is the one used for this temari. I plan to use the one on the far right in my next temari project. I imagine some of these will end up being used for couching to quilts or the finer weight ones (which I have not dyed any of yet) used in the bobbin for quilting.