These three pincushions were made for our quilt guild chapters fundraiser auction coming up next week. They were made by sewing two circles of muslin together (leaving a small opening), filling with clean sand (a funnel is handy for this step), and then stitching the opening shut. Two circles of felt the same size were stitched together a little past halfway around, the sand bag was slipped between the two felt circles and then I finished stitching the felt circles together.
The stitching designs on the green and fuchsia pincushions are temari inspired.
I found that it was easier to do the decorative stitching after the felt was stuffed with the sand bag because it did not need to be in an embroidery hoop the keep the tension of the stitching even as the felt surface was already a little taut. A button was centered on both the front and back and stitched through both, tying off in the front. I used a square knot, tied half the knot, put a little dab of glue in the center, then tied the other half the knot to prevent it from coming undone.
When I was working on cutting out some fabric from a pattern I made, I needed a weight for the fabric (I prefer to use just about anything other than pins when sewing) and immediately thought of my just made pincushions. They worked great. So, I am now calling them pincushion paperweights.